Corporate Director of Maintenance
The Corporate Director of Maintenance provides oversight, direction, leadership, and mentoring to Resort Chief Engineers and General Managers for maintenance related issues. He/she ensures each location has implemented all policies, procedures and remains in compliance with local, state, and national codes.The Corporate Director of Engineering will also be a conduit between Brittain Operations, Homeowners Associations and other internal business units as relevant to various engineering projects and programs. Teamwork, collaboration and proactive communication are critical to this position’s success. This position requires a “managing by walking around” and hands-on approach.
Primary Job Functions
- Maintain, coordinate and monitor preventive maintenance programs of all building equipment and guest rooms, including but not limited to: mechanical, HVAC, pools, spas, electrical and plumbing needs.
- Audit and inspect business locations as needed, in coordination with Senior Operations team. Ensure compliance with the local, state, and national codes, as well as, company standards; corrects any deficiencies identified by any audits.
- Develop and maintain Standard Operating Policies and Procedures for the maintenance department.
- Follow up on projects and assignments, coordinated with Chief Engineers & General Managers.
- Assist Resort Chief Engineers & General Managers with all aspects of Capital Improvement Projects including budgeting, forecasting, bidding and selection of potential contractors.
- Assist General Managers with all emergency procedures and preparedness.
- Manage third party vendors and national account partners, as required, setting clear expectations and accountability.
- Review potential new systems, equipment, and programs and recommend for use to Senior Operations team and other key stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities to improve overall bottom line of maintenance expenditures.
- Foster clear communication and team work with key stakeholders and management of properties/Resorts.
- Recruit and interview the management position candidates for maintenance; assist with hourly positions upon request.
- Mentor, train and develop maintenance team in all applicable areas of maintenance.
- Coach and counsel team members for success; assist General Managers with performance appraisals by providing ongoing feedback.
- Troubleshoot issues in maintenance and manages vendor process when necessary.
- Conduct proactive inspections and maintenance audits; identify issues, trends and solutions.
- Manage payroll and supplies costs; ensure proper costs are billed to homeowners according to agreement.
- Create and participate in continuing educational opportunities for personal growth and development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Job Qualifications
- The ideal candidate has a passion for responding and solving problems, provides strong customer service, and constantly seeks to improve upon current situations through clear communication, accountability, and coaching.
- A strong background and working knowledge in operation and maintenance of facility management services and preventative maintenance (PTAC Units, air conditioning, building trades e.g. plumbing, carpentry, interior painting, roofing, electrical system, security system and equipment maintenance) is required.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments, and enforce Company’s standard policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ability to respond quickly and develop solutions for common inquiries, complaints, and urgent issues, and deal with a wide variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to clearly present action plans and updates to senior management and ownership representatives on key projects and urgent matters.
- Experience in working with and managing third party vendors, establishing partnerships as needed, and setting clear expectations and accountability.
- Working knowledge of life/safety systems, plumbing codes, electrical codes, national/local fire codes, local mechanical codes, blue- prints/schematics.
- Must possess leadership and team building skills to effectively supervise building maintenance staff and interact with all levels of management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
- Possess strong human relations skills with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
- Ability to effectively multi-task while prioritizing, meeting deadlines and being prepared for scheduled appointments.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and on-call via phone or email access 24/7 days per week.
Education and Formal Training
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training, minimum of 7 years direct experience in the maintenance of mechanical, life/safety, electrical and plumbing operations of hotels or commercial buildings, 5 years Resort level supervisory experience.
Minimum Physical Requirements
This position requires a high level of physical activity and this may not be an all-inclusive list of the necessary physical requirements to perform this job. It requires the ability to grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Must be able to reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at times.
- Sitting- Rare
- Standing/Walking- Constant
- Climbing Stairs- Occasional
- Crouching/Bending/Stooping- Frequent
- Reaching- Frequent
- Near Vision- Constant
- Far Vision- Occasional
- Hearing- Frequent
- Talking- Frequent
- Smell- Constant
- Grasping- Frequent
- Pushing/Pulling- Frequent
- Lifting, Carrying (#lbs)- Frequent, maximum of 25 lbs.
- Traveling- Rare
These are basic requirements of the job. If you feel at any time you may need accommodation, please contact the VP of Team Member Services.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. We participate in E-Verify.